The California Association of Council of Governments (CALCOG) has put together a list of helpful resources regarding mileage based user fees[1]. While California hasn’t implemented such a policy, its been proposed in other states and is one of the alternatives that I’m seeing discussed more as a replacement or supplement to the fuel tax revenue.

  1. You’ll also see this referred to as a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax or road user charge.  ↩