Smart Growth America (SGA) and the State Smart Transportation Initiative (SSTI) published “The Innovative DOT: A handbook of policy and practice” to share strategies that state DOTs and transportation leaders are implementing in response to today’s funding challenges. The handbook focuses on eight areas affecting agencies :
- Revenue Sources
- Revenue Allocation and Project Selection
- Increasing Transportation System Efficiency
- Improving Options for Miblity and Access
- Providng Efficient, Safe Freight Access
- Integrating Transportation and Luand Use Decision-Making
- Improving DOT Processes
Each section provides background information, resources, and case studies on the respective topic. The handbook provides an opportunity to learn from other DOTs and showcases options that may be worth pursuing.
SGA and SSTI’s “The Innovative DOT: A handbook of policy and practice” can be downloaded here.