Get Ready for Cycle 7 HSIP Call-for-ProjectsFebruary 10, 2015
It’s time to start planning for the Spring 2015 Cycle-7 HSIP Call-for-Projects!
WHO should apply?
- A city, county or federally recognized tribal government who can assume responsibility and accountability for federal-aid highway funds.
WHAT funding is available?
- The total federal funding available is expected to be approximately $150 million.
- Caltrans is looking to fund multiple applications from each local agency.
- The Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) includes the federal funding intended for High Risk Rural Road (HRRR) eligible projects.
- The minimum and maximum amount of federal funds for each application is from $100,000 to $10 million, respectively.
- The maximum amount of federal funds an agency can receive from this call is $10 million.
WHEN is the Call and Webinar going to happen?
- The Call is scheduled to begin in April 2015 and the applications will be due late July 2015.
- A statewide webinar is planned for February 26th from 9:00 am to 11:30 am. This webinar will focus on the actions agencies should take in preparation for the upcoming call.
- Additional regional training workshops will be considered after the February 26th webinar.
WHERE can I find more information?
- Caltrans’ HSIP website has guidance for preparing for the next call, “lessons learned’ from past calls-for-projects, and examples of funded application from the previous cycles. The website can be accessed at: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/LocalPrograms/HSIP/prepare_now.htm
- The Local Roadway Safety Manual (LRSM) for California Local Road Owners is posted on the website and provides detailed guidance for local agencies as they consider project locations and proposed improvements for the upcoming call-for-projects.
- Caltrans is finalizing updates to the LRSM, HSIP Guidelines, Application Form, Application Instructions, and the SafeTREC TIMS-Benefit/Cost Calculator. The draft Guidelines, Appendix B of the LRSM, Engineers checklist, and crash data summary sheet have been posted in the above link for review. Finalized documents will be posted on the websites by the time the Call is announced.
WHY should my agency start preparing now?
- All applications will be selected based on their Benefit to Cost (B/C) ratio. The Cycle 7 minimum B/C ratio is 5.0. Applications must have a B/C ratio of 5 or greater to be considered in the selection process.
- Local agencies should start analyzing their roadway networks now to identify high crash locations/corridors and proposed improvements that will yield the highest B/C ratios.
- Agencies that don’t have access to crash data and ways to assess their high crash concentrations, should consider using the UC Berkeley, SafeTREC-TIMS website at: http://tims.berkeley.edu/
- Agencies that have a HSIP Delivery Flag when the applications are due will not be eligible to submit applications for new funding. Now is the time to deliver past safety projects per the HSIP delivery requirements! The latest status reports are available at: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/LocalPrograms/HSIP/delivery_status.htm
For more information on the HSIP Cycle 7 Call-for-Projects, go to: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/LocalPrograms/HSIP/prepare_now.htm